ARC Review : The Sin Eater's Daughter

Saturday, 7 February 2015

Arc Review:

The Sin Eater's Daughter







Author: Melinda Sailsbury

Genre: Ya, Fantasy, YA Fantasy

Binding/Pages: Paperback, 336

Release Date: Early 2015: OUT NOW!
Publisher: Scholastic





 

Twylla is, and has always been, an agent of death..
 Both feted and hated, she's painfully lonely. Until her new guard tries to befriend her…

Goodreads Summary:

 Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.
As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?



My Review: 

The Tagline of this book got me- it hooked me straightaway.
'I am the perfect weapon. I kill with a single touch.'

When I was told I would be given this by Scholastic as an ARC, I nearly hyperventilated.
And now that I've finished, I think I might actually be getting withdrawal symptoms.


First things first, this certainly didn't read like a debut.  It seems as though Mel has already mastered her craft- the plot was smooth, all characters had immense depth and complete separate personalities and the world building felt effortless.


To give you a taste of the pacing, here's the first couple lines:

'Even when there are no prisoners, I can still hear the screams. They live in the walls like ghosts and echo in between footsteps.'

Yup. Mel doesn't save us any mercy. She pretty much throws us right into the deep end, squirming through the tension.
I love that. The book held no heirs and graces, starting with just a great sharp, suspense-filled first line...
And I'm totally in the palm of Mel's hand. 

The first person narrative really helps us to decipher Twylla as a character. It's great how she just unfolds throughout the book, and we begin to understand her more. I'll admit, I sometimes don't enjoy first person narrative. Occasionally, when I can't connect to a character I just get bored of being stuck in their thoughts.

But with Twylla, I was entranced. I wanted to know her, to discover her past, I wanted to help her.

It takes a lot to get me to really appreciate a protagonist. (I have a weakness for side characters.) Yet I clicked with Twylla right away.

Speaking of side characters: I think I'm actually irrevocably in love with Lief. That is all.
The book in general wasn't flowery or over-the-top. Just pure imagination and an original  take on story telling.
Overall, this book is beautifully lyrical, the tale is spun beautifully with a talent that can rival the biggest.
I'm seriously unbelievably excited for the next instalment.




Mel, you're already coolest.

I have a feeling this book is going to be big... Or your money back.
5/5 Stars.
























1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review! I just barely got approved for this one on Edelweiss and am so ecstatic!!! Can't wait to read and review it! Thanks for stopping by!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete