Review: Seed by Lisa Heathfield.

Sunday, 29 March 2015


Author: Lisa Heathfield
Genre: UK YA
Binding: Paperback
Pages: 352
Publication Date: 16th April 2015
Publisher: Electric Monkey











'The story of a life lived in a cult.'

Goodreads Summary:


Fifteen-year-old Pearl has lived her whole life protected within the small community at Seed, where they worship Nature and idolise their leader, Papa S. When some outsiders arrive, everything changes. Pearl experiences feelings that she never knew existed and begins to realise that there is darkness at the heart of Seed. A darkness from which she must escape, before it's too late.
  



Receiving the book:
A while ago, I opened my twitter. I was pretty happy to have a DM from Chelley, from Tales of Yesterday, (a fantastic blogger and friend that I met at the Scholastic Blogger's book feast) telling me that she had multiple copies of Seed. She thought it would be right up my street, and she loved it.Trusting Chelley's excellent taste, I accepted, and a few days later, it arrived with a lovely note.
My Review: 
Upon hearing what Seed was about, I was unbelievably excited to read it. I've never heard of a book set in a Cult before, and it seemed so intriguing- I genuinely didn't know what to expect.
The Definition of Cult: 'A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.'
In Seed's case, the devotion is directed towards the mysterious Papa S, to whom all members of Seed look up to.
We watch the secrets unfold through Pearl's perspective, a young girl who has lived in Seed her entire life. Everything seems so perfect and peaceful, the people of Seed simply couldn't want for anything.

We journey through growing up, challenging authority and unrequited love, all in the beautiful rural backdrop of Seed's stunning gardens.
Seed explores the devastating affects of deceit and mind control, and how easily we can be corrupted. It really opened my eyes to how damaging some groups can be, and how easily we may be influenced by others.
 Seed felt devastatingly real. All the way throughout, I felt so involved. Every time I had to put the book to one side, I got really frustrated- I really just wanted to finish.

'Seed Loves you. Seed will never let you go.'
Seed certainly hasn't let me go-I can't wait for the sequel!
A fantastic YA read with chillingly dark elements and thrilling mystery.
5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment